Breakin Ankles

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Ron Paul's legion of idiotic supporters

Apparently, Ron Paul supporters besieged Bill Clinton outside of a bakery and proceeded to shout that 9/11 was an inside job. Bill Clinton engaged the idiotic demonstrators and said, "You wanna know what I think? You guys who think 9/11 was an inside job are crazy as hell." Amen brotha. It goes without saying that anyone who thinks 9/11 was an inside job is a certifiable intellectual infant who watches too much 24.

But the interesting thing about this story, however, is the fact that the people involved weren't crazed Marxists, but rather Ron Paul supporters. I don't really know what to make of this but it seems obvious to me that if you're running for president, the last thing you want is to have your supporters running around like a bunch of crazed loons and making bogus claims about 9/11 to a president who wasn't even in office when the attacks took place!

Now I don't agree with everything Ron Paul has to say, but he seems to be an intelligent guy with a lot of interesting and new ideas for Washington. With that said, some of his supporters need to tone it down a bit. A good number of Ron Paul supporters are seemingly in love with the man and bring him up at every possible opportunity -- just check the comments in my MTV post below if you want to see what I'm referring to. Every day I'm inundated with an inordinate amount of Ron Paul election spam. Too many Internet message boards and social news network sites are filled with Ron Pauls rabid supporters throwing their annoying election propaganda in my face. The length to which these supporters will go to relate everything back to their fearless demagogue is almost humorous.

Here is a hypothetical conversation of me talking with one of these crazed Ron Paul guys.

me: "Man, I'm really hungry"
Ron Paul supporter (RPS): You know who also gets hungry? Ron Paul. Vote for him in '08.

me: I wonder what my brother will name his newborn son
RPS: Did you know that Ron Paul's last name is also a first name? Vote Ron Paul.

me: I really like Corn Pops, what a great cereal.
RPS: Ron Paul once saw a box of Corn Pops while shopping in a supermarket in Texas in '87. Ron Paul in '08, help change the world!

Enough already! The funny thing is that if Paul's army of highly motivated supporters continue to pester the masses with online spam, people who are looking to learn more about the candidates will have a bad association with Ron Paul from the get go.

Lastly, I'm not to make any broad generalizations here, but I knew 2 or 3 hardcore libertarians in college. They were all extremely intelligent, highly motivated, and they all ended up going to top 10 law schools. But they were all socially awkward as well. Could this be part of the problem? Are Ron Paul's supporters comprised of super book smart yet socially inept individuals? Who the fuck knows. Just stop with the spam already!

UPDATE !!(Unsolved Mysteries Style) Does Ron Paul harbor some racist, anti-semitic, and homophobic ideas? This just came out today, so it will be interesting to see how it holds up to scrutiny.

 
eXTReMe Tracker